Monday 15 August 2011

Why Holiday in the UK

We are fortunate that my inlaws, whilst residing in the UK, have kept on a house by the seaside in East Anglia. We have just spent a lovely week with them, and Joseph has greatly enjoyed himself, with donkey rides, paddling and eating copious amounts of ice cream.

When I first moved to England I was struck by its beauty and diversity. I loved exploring the place, and I loved how easy it was for me, a non driver, to get places by train. I love trains, a complete novelty for me as the last passenger trains in Tasmania stopped when I was about 5.

After a couple of years I was lured by cheap travel to the Europe, and found it amazing that in just over an hour I could be in another country, so different to the one I had just left. In Australia overseas travel is very much a luxury, although somewhat more accessible now than it was say 20 years ago.

I have done both with Joseph, in his 2 short years since discharge we have travelled in the UK, and abroad. I find now, that holidaying in the UK very much appeals to me.

1. Travel logistics - car transport agrees with Joseph. He loves looking out the window, he sucks his blankie, he dances to the radio, so much easier than rawling with airports and their dazzling lights and hidey holes and long corridors.

2. Being able to meander and stop - I love to stop at roadside stalls or to have a brew and a cake. You can break up your journey if you want, and its much easier to have "joy in the journey" when you are travelling on the ground rather than air.

3. Exploring your own country - I am astounded how much of the UK I have seen compared to some of my English friends, and I am not nearly as widely travelled as I'd like to be. I love the beauty of Britain, it really is amazing, and the diversity never ceases to astound me. I love hearing the different accents, and trying the different food. If you look for it there is a culinary diversity that is quite amazing.

4. Keeping the economy moving - Europe is no longer the bargain it used to be, and its good to keep our money in the UK and to help small businesses and small villages.

5. The weather - I know its unpredictable, and being a Tasmanian I am used to waking up with a "dry weather plan" and a "wet weather plan". I think the changeable weather is part of Britain's charm. And I have to say that although we were in East Anglia and the weather wasn't stunning, we didn't once have to execute our wet weather plan, and I've come home with virgin colouring books and Crayola markers.

Now having said all this, we are having a week away in Rhodes in September, but we think that next year we will not have a holiday abroad at all, and stay in the UK. I really want to try Glamping? Have any of you done it? Any recommendations? Would love to hear from you!


9 comments:

  1. Not to mention that the UK has some of the best themeparks in Europe! If you're into that jazz, which I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so appealing! The state I live in is HUGE. The idea that you can hop in the car and go to different countries is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane of Australia16 August 2011 at 02:59

    Hi Kylie, I hear Glamping is the only way to go but I am really a 5 star hotel kind of girl...however my daughter camps out several times every year with husband 4 children. Along goes a mini fridge, a freezer, a mini oven etc. They have a HUGE tent, with all the required furniture and a massive canopy that goes well beyong the limits of the tent. It lowers the temp some 10 degrees or so. In summer it is essential. Going along with all this style of camping I gave her a special solid plastic egg box, to transport a dozen eggs with out breakage. It's not for me but they love it. YES down here it is a long way and a lot of $ to get anywhere. Rhodes in September sounds lovely. So glad the little Joke-Teller had a good time, seaside donkeys and ice cream sounds so very English to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camping is great with kids as its social and you don't have to worry about knick-knacks. I haven't been glamping, you know we are more old school. Our Black Wolf tent is VERY EASY to erect, there's lots on the market now that are. We take doonas instead of sleeping bags to make for cosier sleeping. We look for beautiful camping grounds, one of the biggest benefits of camping is that for not very much money you can have the best locations - close to the beach or with incredible unspoilt views. The family caravan parks are okay, but sometimes a bit bland. The most important thing to get right with camping is the food. We always go out for coffee in the morning. We cook on barbecues, usually buying food fresh each day if we are camping near a town. Taking fruitcake and other sustaining snacks is a must. (If you go camping I will send you my apricot and sunflower seed loaf recipe).

    I'd love to do some of the long walks in the UK - Coast to Coast or Hadrian's Wall. I think we would do that with a service that drives our bags for us rather than carrying gear, just cause of the kids.

    Fred also really enjoyed staying in the youth hostel in London, meeting people in the kitchen and most youth hostels have outdoor play areas and high normal kid noise tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are kind of loathe to buy any camping equipment as I don't think, as a family, we'll get on with it. Corey really needs a bed as he can't manage to get on and off an airmattress or camp bed. A lot of the "glamping" options have proper beds, which is a big drawcard!

    We are definitely hostellng when we do our European adventure just before Joseph starts school!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of the glamping options here are awesome, I was looking last night and we're spoilt for choice. It's not a cheap option but cheaper than a hotel for a week! I can't really be doing with buying a load of equipment, especially if we end up hating it. My husband has a physical disability and can't really sleep on the floor or a camp bed.

    Yes it was just like a proper English seaside holiday, I was really pleased I could experience that through his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, its amazing, we drive to Germany once a year, and we got lost last year and ended up in Maastricht, it made me laugh that in Australia you get lost you might end up in a different suburb, in Europe you end up in a different country!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not doing heights and speed I havne't really explored theme parks, I have done Blackpool Pleasure beach once and was proud of myself for going on the Grand National - then it burnt down.

    I am looking forward to taking Joseph to Diggerland and Thomas at Drayton Manor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that holidaying in the UK is a really good and enjoyable thing to do. I recently went on a short break in the UK and I would highly recommend it to others.

    ReplyDelete