Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Forever Journey Month 1

I went to the GP today and the scales I weighed in on initially were missing. Nowhere to be found. So I stepped on the scales they had and .....116.5 kilos. I've lost a pound. In a month.

This has happened to me before if I just watch what I eat and don't exercise my weight loss is much better. Underneath this layer of fat I am built like a shot putter, strong big muscles.

I look considerably smaller. People who don't know I am trying to lose weight have asked me if I've lost weight. My health and well being are much improved. And bizarrely without trying I have stopped biting my nails and they are really strong! So I know I am doing things right to an extent.

However I still need to make improvements. Please if you follow me on Twitter or Facebook NAG ME to drink water. I am not drinking enough at all and I know I'm not. On the plus side I haven't had anything naughty to drink, no diet drinks, no sugary drinks, no juice, just not enough water.

My diet might need adjustment so I will have a look at that over the next few months but I'm not panicking yet. I think I am on the right track, it's taken a while to adjust to this new eating plan and I've changed some lifelong habits, it might take just a bit longer to reflect my good work on the scales.

This is forever. I am embarking on an eating plan that needs to work for the rest of my life, so if my body only wants to lose a pound a month then perhaps that's just how it's going to be. It's no point restricting calories too much or I won't be able to sustain it.

As my mindfulness teacher Karen says, in her beautiful Dublin accent, to get from point A to point B first you have to be at A. I am at A and I am being at A. I am knowing my body, knowing food and knowing what exercise I enjoy and what fits in with my lifestyle.

I am being at A for another month, and that's ok. I haven't gained, I have done really well. I got through this month without alcohol, without sweets, without relying on chocolate, without takeaways. I have done really well. I must let the fact a mechanical measuring advice hasn't reflected my good work.

I will make the following changes for this month:-

* drink a glass of water every 1-2 hours (that I'm awake)
* reduce my porridge size to a small bowl
* add more protein to my diet
* reduce nut butters
* more careful lunch planning

As well as my walking I've added resistance exercise too. I know I probably need more high intensity exercise but at the moment I think I am asking for injury doing that until my fitness and joint stability improves. I will continue to aim for 5-7 k walking a day plus 3 resistance sessions a week.

Being extremely obese the rules are different. I don't have 1 stone or even 3 stone to lose, I have 6. I need to stay calm and considered and focussed.

But I still had a cry. I'm only human. 


6 comments:

  1. You are embarking on such an amazing journey and I am really enjoying the photos of what you are eating and how you are changing habits for good. Keep at it. You are amazing. Also, I can recommend Chia seeds to sprinkle on porridge, they are high in protein and omega 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you have done brilliantly over the past month - I think you have made a lot of positive and maintainable changes,
    I don't weigh myself because I can't stand to feel disheartened, or on the other hand feel that I've done well enough for a 'treat' which then throws me off track.
    Well done to you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. *hugs* It's a marathon not a sprint and all that. You're doing really well, please try not to be disheartened

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chia are a massive part of my diet now. I have them on porridge or make them into pudding. I have noticed that I have really strong nails now, in fact too tough to bite! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Diet Taps into Revolutionary Plan to Help Dieters Lose 15 Pounds within Just 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever wanted to get free Facebook Followers and Likes?
    Did you know you can get them AUTOMATICALLY & ABSOLUTELY FREE by registering on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete